This is the family blog site for Paul, Darla, Jayden & Tyson Batty.
Monday, November 24, 2008
15th Anniversary
We just returned from celebrating our 15th wedding anniversary in Florida. Muzzy flew in & stayed with the kids. They had a great time! Although Florida was going through an unusual cold snap, we had an enjoyable time. We visited NASA, ate out, went to the movies, slept in, & talked without interruption. It was wonderful! Oh... we also saw as few alligators & turtles while we were out & about.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.
Tyson put both hands up to his face in a manner that Jayden interpreted as offensive. He said: “Tyson, why did you celebrate death on me?!” I asked what that meant & Jayden explained that Tyson had just tried to put a curse on him. Jayden nearly 7. Tyson just turned 2.
Jayden was very emotional as I was tucking him in for bed. After a few concoling words, I reminded him to say his prayers & really talk to Heavenly Father about his feelings. I told him that Heavenly Father can send the comforter to help him when he feels this way. A few minutes later I came to check on Tyson. Jayden reached for my hand & kissed it tenderly & said: “When your heart’s broken it’s like the Lord is the engineer and he fixes it. I could feel some construction going on in there and now I’m all better.” They he pushed himself out of bed a little & invited my to put my hand on his heart, saying “Try to feel the cracks (in my heart). See… they aren’t there!” Nearly 7 years old
I asked Jayden why he was coming his hair at an unusual time. His response: “I wanted to attract a female” Nearly 7 years old
One evening Paul was calling on someone to say the meal prayer. He asked if the best soccer player at the table could say it. Jayden, realizing that it was him who was being singled out, chuckled & said, “Oh yeah… I forgot” Nearly 7 years old
“Jesus broke the bread ‘cause his hands were clean ‘cause they’re never dirty”. Age 6
“We’re like policemen’s little pets; we have to obey them.” Age 6
Paul wiggles his fingers to get Jayden moving & asks if Jayden needs “fast fingers” to help him get moving on his chores. “Oooh…” Jayden commented, “They DO make me fast!” Age 6
“Boys business is bigger than the earth. They have to do everything with their bones and muscles & head. You do NOT want to be a boy! Girls business is half. Boys business is bigger than the earth.” Age 6
Said to Tyson who squirting too much 409 as Jayden was trying to clean the walls, “Tyson, I’m almost about to fire you!” Age 6
About a flier stuck in our door that said “Coming Soon… Jesus”. Jayden excitedly announced, “Mom! Jesus is coming!!!” Age 6
Experimenting with the piano keys, Jayden said "Mom, listen! The keys talk to you." So I looked at him with that "ooh, cool!" look. Then in a incredulous tone he said, "Don't look at me mom, the words aren't on my face!" Age6
Jayden's uncle Nate is getting married soon. In family prayer he asked Heavenly Father to bless Nate & Lindsay that they could have a happy family & very good babies. Age6
Jayden comforting Tyson who had just gotten in trouble: "It's okay Tyson. I was like that too when I was a little kid, but I'm fine now." Age6
"That's a problem we can't fix. And if we can't fix it, it'll be broken forever!" Jayden Age6
Jayden came home from school saying his classmates are going to "Disney Freeze". A couple days later I saw an advertisement for Disney on Ice & the light bulb finally went off. Age6
“You better be glad you’re a mom. Being a dad is tougher” Age 6
Jayden is currently exercising his rights as a toast connisseur. He used to be a toast & butter kind of guy, but recently enjoys switching it around & relishing in the fact that he “got me” with his latest fad in toast taste. It never fails that he wants the opposite of whatever I put on the table… forgot the fact that the day previous he swore an oath to his newest toast conversion. Kind of chuckling at the ridiculous mind reading requests I said, “I guess I just can’t do anything right”. His response was, “You’re a winner even if you can’t figure out how to do it right” Age 6
“You better be glad you’re a mom. Being a dad is tougher” Age 6
We have a kids CD on “Respect”. There’s a funny little product the kids in the story get sprayed with called “Respect-o-blast” Jayden excitedly suggested “Man, we should get some of that. When I’m bad… ‘pssshh’, just spray it on me and I’ll be better.” Age 6
“It’s stupid being a pumpkin, isn’t it!?” “Why?”, I asked. “Because you can’t talk to anyone and you don’t have any friends”. Age 6
After breaking the coffee table with roughhousing, Jayden said; “My heart crack-ded open and the blood spilled out.” Age 6
Singing “Slient Night”… “Silent night, holy night. All is wrong, all is right. Count your tempers, mother & child” Age 6
Jayden was trying to make adult conversation with his dad one evening after work. Referring to Paul’s boss who Jayden had met only the week prior, Jayden said; “So… how’s Lieutenant Colonel doing?” Age 6
The other day I gave Jayden “the eye” as warning that he was about to get it. When he straightened up, I gave him a thumbs up & a thank you. Nonchalantly & slightly amused that he’d escaped with his life, he said “Was I about to get whopped?” Age 6
We have a gumball machine that we sometimes reward the boys when they’ve done their chores. Once in a while it dispenses two at a time. The other day Jayden told me “I promised Heavenly Father that I’d take my shower if he gave me 2 gumballs”. Age 6
We were eating leftovers. In a voice that was both disqusted & disappointed, Jayden said, “Awwww… not this stuff again!” I gave him the eye & the tone suddenly went to one of joyous exuberance; “All right!!! This stuff again!” Age 5
We were driving & Tyson was being noisy. Jayden complained; “Tyson, be quiet! You’re making my bottom itch!!!” Age 5
Tyson was smacking his lips. Jayden commented, “He’s tasting his buds… you know, the things on his tongue.” Age 5
I was asking if there was room for me to join the boys. Jayden said, “One more room for one more darling” Age 5
Lately Jayden has been “telling” Tyson things in baby language then interpreting for us all what Tyson’s answer is. Age 5
We re-discovered some old toys cars & airplanes. Jayden commented “Mom, remember when I used to play with these babies?!” Age 5
Jayden insisted that if his dad died that he would want to die to so he could be with him. After much convincing that there was a lot to live for, Jayden was unmoved in his conviction. “Okay, you little Drama Prince… it’s time to hop in bed”, dad said once he realized that this conversation had been a cleverly disquised delay tactic. “Daddy, please don’t call me names because it’s against the law” Jayden corrected. Age 5
Mom was doing dishes at the sink with the headphones on & was shakin’ it. Jayden reported in his tattle tale voice; “Mom, dad was looking at your booty.” Age 5
Feeling quite picked on for not getting tuck-ins due to bad behavior, I overheard Jayden have a very frank conversation with Heavenly Father: “They just aren’t treating me very nice. They think they are, but they’re not. Why do they do that?” Age 5
Jayden’s teacher assistant for Kindergarten is pregnant. Jayden said “Mom, when she has that DANG baby she can’t come to school anymore ‘cause she needs to take care of that baby.” Age 5
Jayden was watching “Chitty, Chitty, Bang, Bang”. There’s a line on one of the songs that says “I need him as much as he needs me”. Jayden’s explanation was “Mom, it’s like this…She needs him 5 days and he needs her 5 days” Age 5
12 days before daddy returns from a 6 month deployment Jayden’s evening prayer went something like this: “My mommy is so beautiful- and please help me take care of her- because it’s my job to take care of her until my daddy comes home… and I miss him very much” Age 5
Jayden was sitting Indian style at the highest point of the playground equipment in a meditation pose; eyes closed, hands resting on knees with middle finger & thumb touching. In between his deep breathing I asked, “Son, what are you doing?” (As if it wasn’t obvious) His eyes popped open, & in an exasperated tone he said, “Mom! You awakened me!!!” Age 5
I was explaining to Jayden that the scriptural term “tongues” means the language a person speaks. A while later I overheard Jayden trying to quiet Tyson down by saying; “Tyson, stop tonguing!” Age5
“I made excellent plans!” Age 5
I was trying to console Jayden who was feeling downhearted at making bad choices. He said, “Mom, Heavenly Father won’t want me in Heaven with Him.” I explained that Heavenly Father loves us & always wants us to be with Him. I threw in a few examples from the scriptures of people who had made bad choices & then repented. To really drive home the point I said, “Did you know that even mom & dad make mistakes?” Without a moments hesitation he said; “No mom, YOU make mistakes, but daddy doesn’t” Age 5
Said to his mom: “Can the bravest girl take this boy to bed now?” Age 5
The Goodyear Blimp was flying around our city all day. Jayden kept calling it the Happy Day Balloon” Age 5
“I try to make Heavenly Father happy, but I’m always being mean” Age 5
“PJ’s my dad- he’s the one who should tell me… not the Holy Ghost” Age 5
“I’m da man!” Age 5
“Heavenly Father, are you sure you’re right?” Age 5
The other day Jayden was apologizing to me: “Sorry for being such a meanie to you, mom” “It’s okay” “Thanks for your true heart” Age 5
At night time when I tuck Jayden in we usually talk a bit. Tonight Jayden’s parting counsel to me was, “Mom, try to keep your mind open, okay? But don’t have the Spiderman or Ninja dream ‘cause they’re pretty scary.” I don’t have a clue what he’s talking about! Age 5
One day Jayden was frustrated at himself. He said, “Mom, my heart keeps telling me that I’m stupid” I pretented I was scolding his heart, telling it to be nice, & gave him nibbles until he started laughing. I said “What do you think Heavenly Father thinks about you?” “That I’m very special and a beloved son” Age5
Before Paul left for deployment he gave Jayden a blessing. There was a peace & calm that came over Jayden. It was truly a deeply spiritual moment for him. A few days later Jayden started crying & said “I lost the holy ghost in my heart”. On a funnier note, a week or so later Jayden came out from cleaning his room crying. Dead serious, he said “I can’t feel the spirit in my heart when I’m cleaning my room,” Age 5
Jayden was relishing in his angry mood. He said “Mom, look at me… I have angry eyebrows and a sad face.” Age 5
We were going to church for an Easter Egg Hunt. Jayden asked “Do we shoot the Easters with real guns?” Age 4 ¾
I was just a few weeks from giving birth to Tyson. We were in church, Jayden started patting my breasts & started to say something. Figuring whatever he was thinking might not be something I wanted broadcasted in church, I said, “Shh… tell me in my ear”. Sure enough, he said “Mom, you have really nice boobs.” A few days later I was bending over to put on my pants. Jayden patted my rear, gave it a little kiss, & in the most loving voice said; “Mom, you have a really big bum.” Age 4 ¾
Jayden overheard his dad discussing a movie over the phone. He said “Dad, are we invited?” “Yep” “Oh my gosh, I’ll be so happy!” Age 4 ¾
Family Night is such a treasure! As we were kneeling in a circle holding hands for family prayer Jayden lay his head on my chest & sighed. I took a peek at his beautiful face & cherished this heavenly moment. Age 4 ¾
Jayden’s explanation of diarrhea: “I tried to tell my bottom to stop but it wasn’t listening to me.” Age 4 ½
A blow fish is a “Breath fish” Age 4 1/2
“Daddy’s song is distracting me” Said of Paul’s off tune singing. Age 4 ½
“Shoot it Daddy” Age 4 1/2
Jayden likes to back his dad out of the driveway in the mornings. He looks so cute out there in his pajamas giving hand signals. He throws in a couple extra stops & go’s, just to make sure his dad’s paying attention. Once Paul is out in the road Jayden races him, on foot, until the end of the street. Age 4 ½
Jayden was helping Paul unload some furniture from the truck. He was really quite helpful & capable at carrying some of the chairs. He directed Paul with the larger pieces; “A little to the right dad… OK, straighten it up…you’re good… OK, stop!” Age 4 ½
Jayden was just beginning to understand the concept that he would soon have a baby brother. He pretended his toys were his baby & said things like “Oh, sweet baby, shh… it’s going to be alright” Age4 ½
Paul was instructing Jayden on something & said, “Can you handle that son?” Jayden gave him the double guns sign with a tongue click & said, in the coolest voice; “Absolutely!” Age4
Jayden was making dying noises. He explained that his Power Ranger was dying & that the “fixers could fix him & the better-ers could better him” Age4
Jayden was being examined by the “girl doctor”. She had Jayden lay on his back & lifted up his legs to get a good look as his bottom. Just as she was spreading his cheeks apart we all heard a little “Poof”, then a giggle & the proud announcement; “Did you hear that?!” Age4
When Jayden gets hurt & carries on a bit too much, Paul says, “Okay son… shake it off” The last time he said that Jayden shook the hurting part & informed his dad that “shaking it off doesn’t work… the hurt is still there” Age4
Jayden was waking up from naps with little red bites all over his body. I suggested we change his sheets in case a spider or ant was hiding in them. He said, “Yeah… or maybe it’s a mean little bird” Age 4
Jayden calls the movie theater, “Movie Vader” (Darth Vader has kind of been on his mind) Age 4
We were reading about how the Nephites took the plates of brass with them to the promised land. Jayden asked; “Did they take them because they liked to eat?” Age 4
We were reading our morning scriptures as Jayden was eating his cereal. The passage said; “by many means the Lord brings to pass…”. Jayden chimed in excitedly, “HEY, it said Mini Wheats!” At least we know he’s listening. Age 4
When dad tucks Jayden in for the night he always says, “Come get me if you need anything”. One evening Jayden replied “I need anything.” I wonder what he thought he was going to get. Age 4
After running up the steps, gasping for air & clutching his chest, Jayden exclaimed; “Mommy, I have too much breath!” Age 4
Jayden is always saying “Mom, look!” One day I replied, “Oh yeah! That’s snazzy!”. “Yep”, he replied “that’s sneezy”. Age 3 ¾
This is how Jayden hears the Popcorn Popping song: “It doesn’t really snow… It doesn’t seem to me”. And “I can take a hug full…” Age 3 ¾
Jayden was sitting on the toilet making very interesting grunting noises. I said, “What are you doing?” “Exercises”, he said. “Oh, are you doing stomach curls?” “Nope, I’m doing poo poo curls” Age 3 ¾
Jayden likes holstering toy weapons in his underwear waistband. One night we found him sitting on the kitchen floor with his underwear around his ankles & a pizza cutter in his hand. He said he was having a hard time getting it to holster correctly & could we please help out. Age 3 ½
Dad had Jayden ran some cable wires through the crawl space in the ceiling. Dad got Jayden set up with a flash light & off he went. Afterwards dad said, “Son, thank you so much… I couldn’t have done that without you. You’re the hero.” “Yep,” he said, “I’m the superhero”. Age 3
We were in the theater watching Star Wars. A kissing scene came on. Jayden grabbed me first, then his dad & practiced his “Hollywood kiss” right on the spot. Placing both hands on our cheeks he puckered up and came to us slowly. Then he tilted his head & tipped side to side for dramatic effect. Age 3
After saying his evening prayers, Jayden said, “Mom, where are Heavenly Father & Jesus?” I told him that they are in heaven, but that we can hear them through the good feelings in our hearts. He said, “I hear them” then he went to the window & pulled the curtains back looking for them. Age 3
Jayden loves to orchestrate his own death scenes & then to see me play cry. If I don’t get the intensity right, he demonstrates the proper way to cry, then we try again from the beginning. Age 3
Jayden likes to take rope or bandanas & twist his wrists up in them. Once he’s good & stuck, he shouts “Look, I’m Abinadi”. Age 3
Jayden had hurt his hand & was crying perhaps a bit more excessively than was warranted. Dad said, “Shake it off son”. Jayden started flailing his hand in the air, & after a few seconds of shaking it said, “I’m trying to, but it’s not working!” Age 3
Dad was teaching Jayden how to bat. After a couple misses, dad said “Keep your eye on the ball son”. After the next miss Jayden retrieved his ball & held it up to his eyeball as he said to himself.. “keep your eye on the ball”. Age 3
Jayden & mom were driving in the car & were discussing the difference between boys & girls. When mom felt she’d explained the difference, she quizzed him: “Is daddy a boy or a girl?” “Boy” “Good job! Is mommy a boy or a girl?” “Girl” “You’re right! Okay, what is Jayden?” “A KID!” Age 3
When Paul deployed to Iraq, we watched the plane take him away. Later, as planes would fly low over our house Jayden would run after them yelling, “Daddy, wait for me…I’m right here… it’s me, Jayden!” Age 2 ½
Jayden was beginning to frustrate me in the way that a toddler does so well. “Arghhh”, I said. Even at this young age, he wasn’t afraid to call me on it; “Mommy, you no mad for me” he counciled. Age 2 ½
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.